Pages

Monday, January 30, 2012

Toolin' around the grocery store

Reading ingredients labels is a must when eating paleo. You just never know when an unsuspecting item might contain weird, unpronounceable preservatives, HFCS, sugars, corn starch, guar gum, or some other additive. I don't know about you, but constant label checking makes me look and feel like a tool at the grocery store: Why yes, this is the third brand of canned coconut milk I've looked at and, no, it is not suitable. Yep, I'm going in for a fourth.

This, admittedly, is exacerbated by my own terrible way of shopping. I have the habit of putting everything that I could maybe, one day, want or need into my cart. And then, as I complete my shopping, I slowly remove any unnecessary items. I know, stupid, but it's how I shop*. ...Going to Target with me is a nightmare.

Eating paleo disrupts my usual shopping routine (for the better). But, I still try... I find random items that should, for all intents and purposes, be paleo but they rarely are. Case in point: Just yesterday I made a quick trip to Trader Joe's and picked up some sunflower seed butter as an impulse buy. I didn't check the ingredients until I got home, and lo and behold:


Evaporated cane juice! Lesson re-learned. Even if you feel like a tool, read the labels, and as the old saying goes, "pick things up and put them down." (I know this is supposed to refer to lifting weights, but I think it applies here too.)

*Sometimes I am very disciplined and bring a list to the store with me. This is rare. And I still manage to pick up a few random items.

3 comments:

  1. Emilyyy..ok so I have been doing paleo fairly strictly for 3 weeks (minus some weekends..need to work on my discipline). I feel hungry all of the time and I eat all of the time too!!! Are you feeling this at all??? (disclaimer: I didn't read the last 6 days, so I'm sorry if you mentioned something about this there)

    Also what are your thoughts are eggs? I could eat eggs for every meal of the day but I am worried about the theories that the yolks contain high levels of cholesterol (the wrong cholesterol I presume). My crossfit trainer says to only eat like 3 yolks a week! That's crazy. Last week I probably ate 15 eggs. I wanted to get do a baseline blood test to see what my cholesterol levels were at and the check them in about a month or so but I think the time to do that has past..Any advice on this?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jess! I love eggs and probably eat 1.5 dozen a week as well. Mark Rippetoe agrees with me! Here he commends the fuel that eggs provide: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/eggs/#axzz1lBb6h3pY and here he talks about cholesterol levels in people who ate/didn't eat egg yolks http://www.marksdailyapple.com/eggs-study-healthy-breakfast/#axzz1lBb6h3pY

    If you're always hungry, I recommend eating a lot of fats... avocados are great for filling you. Are you eating animal fats? (meat, ground beef, etc) Olives and nuts are also good sources of fat to fill you up. Just don't eat too many nuts. I'd say up your protein and fat intake, and let me know if you're still hungry all the time! How are you energy levels?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I eat a lot of fats I think..bacon, avocados, so much meat. I feel great. Have been waking up early and easily getting through the day. I'll let you know how the fats idea goes, thank you!!

    ReplyDelete